GTOC X
10th Global Trajectory Optimisation Competition

May 21, 2019, 8 p.m. UTC

June 12, 2019, 8 p.m. UTC

Timeline

The competition is over.

What a race!

darioizzo

Wow! Fantastic race everyone! Congratulation to NUDT-XSCC for the incredible first place, looks like nobody ever stood a chance this time, impressive!
Congratulations to Tsinghua as well, we tried hard to be ahead at the finishline, but you were too fast.
A tremendous edition has ended and Anastassios and his colleagues at JPL raised once again the bar conceiving a problem of an incredible complexity and beauty... thank you.

IngoA

Indeed, this competition was fantastic.
Congratulations to NUDT+XSCC for winning,
and also to the other top performers.

Many thanks to Anastassios for this incredibly challenging task!

Hopefully we (all teams) will learn from the after-comp exchange
of solutions and ideas.

Ingo.

shenhongxin

Many thanks to Anastassios for releasing this interesting problem. The problem is so challenging that we are really not sure that our solution was the best one. I am lucky to become the winner the first time, actually it was dream of mine when I was a Ph.D. student, what amazing experience of GTOC!

Anastassios@JPL

Truly amazing! The intense efforts at solving this year's problem were fully apparent on the Leaderboard! My congratulations to the NUDT-XSCC team on their phenomenal solution. And to the runners up - yes, a step behind, but fantastic solutions as well. A great thank you to all the teams for participating and pushing each other forward in the quest for the Global (Galactic?) Optimum. I am happy that the returning teams found the challenge fascinating, and also happy to see new teams participating.

Again, my congratulations to Ya-Zhong Luo and Hong-Xin Shen and their colleagues at NUDT and XSCC!

Looking forward to the GTOC X Workshop!

-anastassios

AerospaceCorp

Congrats NUDT and everyone else! Very tough problem this year. Would NUDT be willing to share their sequence? At the very least, their Mother Ships and Fast Ships? We felt like that was a key part of the problem and we didn't have as much success there as we would have liked. Be great to see how it was really supposed to be done.

Anastassios@JPL

It would indeed be instructive if the validated solutions from the overall competition were available to the community. While we consider such an idea, short of a full release, I think it is fair for me to post the simple graphic that I made of the winning NUDT-XSCC entry. Take a look at the Announcements page (link in left column).

darioizzo

I completely agree with the idea to release the submission files of the top (say) 8 teams ..... could be hosted on this website or in the gtoc portal ...

Infact, I think it should become an habit for all next editions to make the submission files available at the end ...

ignacio.torralba

The Goonies team would also like to congratulate:
- the JPL team for the organization of this challenging competition, we really enjoyed it
- the NUDT&XSCC for their amazing solution
- all the teams, because any solution found was a real achievement for this challenging problem

The Goonies

PS. I think it would also be very interesting to leave an open "After Competion" leaderboard, so the teams can improve their algorithms, keep learning and researching while pushing the boundaries of the problem, in a validated and neutral platform.

DietmarW

Very good idea, would much appreciate such a "After competition leaderboard"

DietmarW

And looking forward to see the top 8 submissions, I volunteer to create videos of the population process for them.

AerospaceCorp

I'll add that the sooner the better for getting the solutions out. I know that if the solutions aren't released until the conference, the momentum on our end will be long gone and I doubt we'll have the energy to pick up where we left off. But running some post-competition assessments while the tools and processes we developed for GTOCX are still fresh in our minds will make it much easier. Happy to have our solution be shared.

shenhongxin

The motherships and fatherships were released in my response to DietmarW. I also agree Izzo's idea that "it should become an habit for all next editions to make the submission files available at the end", maybe in gtoc portal.

Anastassios@JPL

Great to hear the interest in publishing the GTOC X files! (and those of future competitions). To start with, I can post the solution file of the final Leaderboard entry from any team that is willing to publish their file (thanks to AerospaceCorp for volunteering their solution already).

If you'd like to share your final file (or even all your validated files), please send me an email (gtocx@jpl.nasa.gov) confirming this. I'll make a page on this site with links to any such files.

Cheers,

-anastassios

darioizzo

Great initiative, just sent our permission via mail! Hope everybody will do the same. Will also mirror the files on the gtoc portal ...

DietmarW

Regarding the "After Competition" leader board idea from the Goonies:
I can understand that there are reservations regarding this idea, because the achievements of the participants could look a bit less shiny in case of further progress. For this reason I propose to introduce an "after competition" bonus factor b = 0.1 which would protect the achievements of the top ten, where others still have a chance to improve. Analyzing good solutions, learning from them and find further improvements is a completely different task then to find a solution without help in four weeks. But it still may produce interesting results, so why not generate some "motivation" in this direction. This will in no way reduce our admiration of the achievements of the top teams.

darioizzo

We have produced a video for our solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=nlnlORplDTI. Its also posted on the gtoc portal .... (as soon as we have NUDT-XSCC and Tsinghua it also will be there) In case you want your solution animated similarly send us the solution file.

Anastassios@JPL

Beautiful animation! And it gives some insights too :) Thanks to you and your team, Dario, and to your "animator", Mate Kisantal.
I will start posting solution files soon (yours and NUDT&XSCC, and then others as permissions come).

Anastassios@JPL

Hello all, I have started posting solution files - let me know by email (gtocx@jpl.nasa.gov) if you'd like yours to appear as well. Many thanks to the teams who have already emailed me.

Please log in to leave a comment.