10th Global Trajectory Optimisation Competition

May 21, 2019, 8 p.m. UTC

June 12, 2019, 8 p.m. UTC

Timeline

The competition is over.

problem in understand pod placement for motherboard

solo

Hi,
I am trying to submit some solution but I have problem in understand the format.

Following the description of the problem up to 3 POD can be released from a motherboard when "touch" a star.
This can be done with a single impulse (one for each POD at the same time??). Thus, if I understand
the 3 pod can be set to a "touching" star.

If I try to fill the line with

-1 1 STAR1 TIME1.....
-1 2 STAR1 TIME1.....
-1 3 STAR1 TIME1.....

I have an error with the validation of the data.

If I set (3 mean 3 pod for the star???)

-1 3 STAR1 TIME1.....

I have an error with the sequence of POD placement.

What is the correct way to set 3 POD on the same star form the mother ship?

Anastassios@JPL

Hi Enrico,
Your username actually gives a clue to the answer: Only one Pod can settle a star. The MotherShip can only release one Pod at each star that it "touches". Each MotherShip can release up to ten Pods, but must release them at different stars (and they must be stars that have not been settled by other pods/ships). The first Pod that a MotherShip releases must have the number "1". You can have up to 3 different Mother Ships (all must leave from Sol).

So if your first MotherShip only releases one Pod, you must put exactly two lines for this in your submission file:
-1, 0, 1, ...
-1, 1, STAR_ID, TIME_AT_STAR, ...
The first line is for the MotherShip (the "0" is a place holder, the "1" is how many Pods are released, the "..." is the manoeuvre data). The second line is for the first Pod (the "1" is the Pod number).

Hopefully these explanations will help guide you through page 1 and Section 2.2 of the Problem Statement, and through the Submission Format document.

Cheers,

-anastassios

solo

Ok but I have not understood completely.
The mother ship has ONLY 3 impulse in total to use? (thus reasonably can reach 3 stars, not 10).
I have missed something? The mother ship can use more impulse?

Anastassios@JPL

Correct, Mother Ship has only 3 impulses. How "creatively" can you use each impulse? Perhaps you can "touch" more than 3 stars with one Mother Ship?
Cheers,
-anastassios

Please log in to leave a comment.